Tho despite once again sucking at the blogging i havent died, I really haveno excuse for not poting other than sheer lazyness, I am a bad blogger!!
But anyway stuff, last year at woolfest mum got a natural dyes kit and the in September we got some sock yarn to dye, thus we kept saying oh we should dye this weekend and so on and so forth, but never did, in the mean time i got a hank of knitpicks bare witht the tweedy flecks so i decided that should be dyed, then a couple weekends back we decided we would. So first off needed to make a giant skein to get reasonabloe repeat lengths thus:Having knobs on ones bed is very useful! Mother decided to use a doorhandle and a chair
Next, soaking and mordanting with alum
Then out on to the path on a big length of cling film, it was windy hence my tomato soup addiction vame in useful
Dye was painted on (i forgot to take photos of that really) I ended up doing mums too cos i have the glove and stuff on and they had visitors but she told me what she wanted. Then it was all wrapped up and ready to microwave
After a nuking and rinsing it got left to dry (mine is the one in front)
After they dried they were would up and looked a little something like this:
mine (before it was wound)a swatch of mine knitted up, not quite self patterning but still pretty, see how mums looks when she gets to it.